NE Overpass to I-5 Construction at 8th Ave NE and NE 70th Street Delayed
UPDATE: Work on a new all-way stop and curb ramps at the intersection of 8th Ave NE and NE 70th Street have been temporarily put on hold.
The Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) is working to finalize changes to the overpass with the Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT). Once SDOT issues final approval construction will begin. Approval is expected by April 29th at the earliest. SDOT will keep you posted.
Once construction begins, traffic will be reduced to one lane on 8th Ave NE when necessary for construction. Flaggers will assist motorist and pedestrians through the work zone. Work is expected to last 4-6 weeks. Work at the intersection of 6th Ave NE and NE 71st St was delayed last week due to the weather. Paving crews will begin work at the intersection as soon as Tuesday, April 16th. During paving traffic on NE 71st St will be reduced to one lane with flaggers directing traffic. Pedestrians and bicyclists should also expect detours during this work. Once paving is finished, the intersections will be reopened.
New bike lanes along NE 70th St have been completed. As a reminder, parking was reconfigured on NE 70th St. Parking has been consolidated to the south side of the street between 8th Ave NE and Roosevelt Way NE and removed entirely between Roosevelt Way NE and 12th Ave NE. Please take extra care not to block driveways when parking on the south side of NE 70th St.
What you need to know:
1. Construction hours on weekdays,
7 am – 5pm
2. Traffic on 8th Ave NE reduced to one lane intermittently; flaggers will assist motorists and pedestrians
3. Traffic on NE 71st St reduced to one lane during paving; flaggers will assist motorists and pedestrians through the work zone
4. Temporary lane closures
5. Parking and loading restrictions
6. Detoured walking and biking routes
7. Noise, dust, truck activity, and vibration
8. Construction lasting 4-6 weeks
9. Access to I-5 will be maintained during construction
We’re committed to keeping you informed during construction. Please share this email with others who might be interested in receiving project information and construction updates.
Neighborhood Street Fund Program